Monday, October 12, 2009

Where Can I Turn For Peace?



As my gay and MoHo circle of acquaintances and friends increases, seemingly daily, I am growing more concerned by a commonality that seems to go with many of theses wonderful people, especially with those in the gay Mormon community.  They seem to be fighting a war.  One that is concealed from general view but to those who have been there the battle is easily seen.  It is the fight for our selves and our identity after growing up in a world and faith that says we shouldn't exist and, being gay, certainly have no claims to heavenly salvation or the happiness and love to be found in this world.

While I don't necessarily know each of these individuals personally or nearly as well as I would like, I have come to see and learn the stories and struggles of some of these children of God. I have met the guy who is just realizing that Mormonism can not support him in being gay, or the one still trying to stay in the church and denounce his sexuality, or even the one married with a family.  They are all here seeking solace from a brutal reality and bearing a bruised spirit - but where do they find it when the one place that claimed to offer it to them turns their backs to those in need.  To where do they go to find peace with themselves?

I don't know what it is I can offer those that carry these burdens, and indeed they are.  I learned and I know that they can not be carried alone and I nearly lost my fight trying to do so.  I feel compelled to offer a hand of friendship to each one of my gay brothers and sisters willing to take it.  And to give a chance of hope and opportunity to all when none existed for me.  Be it an e-mail, text, phone call, conversation, or even a shoulder to cry on, I want to do my best to give hope where perhaps none existed.  I'm not sure why I even feel so driven to say any of this - but I feel like I can help and so I shall whenever I can.  My dear friends I reach out to you where ever you may be.  There are a few ways to reach me via this blog and my associated facebook page.  To those in the Seattle area I reach out further since I'm in the area.  Please don't feel like you have to go through life alone.  God does love and care for you and there are many in the world who love you and support you and many walking the journey alongside you.

My heart goes out to each and every one of you.  You are all in my prayers where ever you may be and what ever circumstance you may be challenged with... have hope... You are not alone! 

1 comment: